State Authorizations And Exemptions

State authorization of distance education

The United States Department of Education requires all institutions of higher education to request authorization from every state and territory where their programs are offered in order to maintain eligibility for financial aid. State authorization impacts individuals residing out-of-state only. There are no restrictions for individuals residing in Oregon State. Learn more about state authorization of institutions for out-of-state activities by visiting the WCET website.
The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) initiative pertains to approval of distance education courses and programs offered across state lines by postsecondary institutions that already have degree authorization in at least one state.  SARA centralizes the authorization process for each institution in a single state called the institution’s “home state.”
Colleges or universities in a SARA state therefore only need their home state authorization to offer distance education to students in any other SARA member state, subject to certain limitations.  For a list of all SARA states and SARA-approved institutions, please visit
As of July 10, 2017, Multnomah University has been accepted as an institutional participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) initiative.  Full information about the benefits of SARA are available at  As such, the online (distance education) program of Multnomah University is currently authorized to operate in SARA states under the terms of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).  Prospective online students who reside in non-SARA states should contact the admissions office prior to application for more information.


Multnomah University aims to resolve all student complaints in a fair and expedient manner.  Students wishing to file a formal complaint should first seek resolution through institutional grievance procedures by contacting Student Life for more information.  If a complaint cannot be resolved internally, and if the student resides in a SARA member state, the student may also file a complaint with the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission or with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), our accrediting body.  Out-of-state students from non-SARA states may follow this link for information about filing consumer complaints with their state authorizing agency.