Taiwan Trip Update 2

Comments Off Written on May 20th, 2009 by
Categories: Alumni, Athletics, Faculty, General, Missions, Students

See the First Post and Update 1 for context.

Today Started Very Early 

david-and-goliath-bethanyWe left our hotel at 6:45 a.m. to take the train to the Bethany Academy.  Our trip took about 45 minutes and it was nice to see more of Taipei as we rode. We began the day at Bethany by leading a chapel for their K-5th graders.  We had a blast.  The girls led a song and Coach Bickley spoke about David and Goliath.  One of our players, 6' 4'' Colin Henderson, played Goliath and a little kid named Ashish played David.  It was lots of fun.

A Sobering Reminder

After the chapel, we had a Q&A session with their 9th graders about college life.  It was really interesting to hear some of their questions and experiences.  One student in particular told me about his struggle with being the only Christian in his family.  He began attending Bethany academy because his parents thought it was a good school.  He became a believer while attending school but no one else in his family follows Christ.  He was telling me how he's even nervous about reading his Bible at home because if his family knows he is a Christian, they will be upset with him.  It sure makes me realize how much I take for granted and I pray that this student has the courage to embrace Christ with very little family support.

Basketball and Testimony

drills-at-bethanyWe also led a basketball class for their students.  Some of our players ran different ball handling and shooting drills.  After that we did another Q&A session with their 6-8th graders.  We ended our time at Bethany by attending the chapel for the 5-9th grades.  One of our players, Seth Coleman, gave his testimony and Coach Bickley spoke. 

BBQ Squid and Mechanical Bulls

bullThe afternoon and evening were free, so many of us hit the town.  We did plenty of shopping and some of us tried some local food.  I watched one student eat a barbecued squid.  The whole thing.  Wow.  Bravery takes many forms.

On a completely random note, I rode a mechanical bull in Taipei with a couple of our students.  How weird is that!? 

colin_wyenbergColin Wyenberg
Admissions Counselor
Multnomah Bible College

Tags: , , , , ,