Normally, the Portland Alumni Chapter Event is one that is designed to show appreciation for our alumni. This year, it seems that there is a push to do something more. Since our alumni are servants, and there is a need in our community, we are going to celebrate in a different way.
We have been presented with an awesome opportunity to give back to our community by partnering with Portland Public Schools! One of our community schools in NE Portland is in desperate need of volunteers to help paint their library, several classrooms, portables, and offices.
Afterward, we'll have a BBQ.
100 alumni volunteers to help Rigler paint their library (and maybe more) in three hours. This large project will require that the following “posts” be filled:
- 5 “crew leaders” that are experienced painters to instruct/supervise/direct our 100 volunteers!
- Prep crew (tape trim, cover book cases, lay down drop clothes)
- Cut-in crew (small detail work around trim and windows)
- Wall rollers (larger wall areas)
- Cleanup crew (remove tape and paper/drop clothes)
- 9am registration at Rigler for the service project
- 1pm registration at MU for the BBQ
- Hospitality helpers to distribute water to the workers
You can also help by lending us your tools/supplies! In a time when budgets are all lean – we are relying on donations to gather the supplies needed for the event. The district is providing the paint and we are responsible for the manpower and tools.
- Drop cloths
- Painters tape
- Edging/cut-in tools
- Small buckets/containers of all sizes (recycled items will do just fine) for paint and rinsing water
- Paint trays/liners
- Paint brushes of all sizes
- Roller cages and covers
- Disposable latex gloves
- Extra coolers
Advance registration is critical to ensure we are properly prepared for the service effort and celebration afterwards.