What You Didn’t Hear On the Radio

1 Comment » Written on September 28th, 2009 by
Categories: Alumni, General, Media, Programs, Students

You may have heard radio commercials on-air for the Adult Degree Completion program on a number of radio stations. Recently we ran one on 1190 KEX that profiled a grad from our first DCP Cohort, Brian Wiggs.

His story is amazing and typical all at once (Mechanic, out of school for a long time, wants to go back, wants to minister to children in Honduras, needs to know more about the truths in the Bible in order to make the leap well. You get the picture!).

But there's only so much you can say in a 60-second radio spot...

1190 KEX Radio Spot

What You Didn't Hear

We have a great 9 minute interview from the KEX studio that didn't make it into the spot - it always reminds me about why I do what I do.

Download Interview

Big thank you to Phil Bernstein at Clearchannel Radio Portland for letting me have this recording!

Tags: , , ,

About the Author:
http://learyconsulting.com
Marketing consultant at Leary Consulting.

One Response to “What You Didn’t Hear On the Radio”

Over fifteen years of doing radio commercials, I’ve done many “testimonial” spots. Some work well, and some don’t — it all comes down to the quality of the story, and the authenticity of the person delivering the message.

What makes Brian’s testimonial work so well is that:

1. He had a great story to tell.

2. He was an excellent example of a target student, so his story resonates with others in a similar position.

3. His enthusiasm for Multnomah University was clearly genuine, and his passion was evident throughout the interview.

I knew as we were recording the interview that the commercial would almost write itself. Thanks to Brian, Robert Leary, and all at Multnomah University for the opportunity to put it together.