From The Archive: Dr. Dan’s New Semester Welcome

Comments Off Written on January 22nd, 2010 by
Categories: Alumni, Dr. Lockwood, Pray For MU, Students

This is an excerpt from a letter sent to donors who give to student aid and other student support causes.

January 31, 2008

Often in my letters, I like to paint a verbal picture of a student or alumnus, describing how Multnomah is impacting their life on campus right now or in God’s work around the world. At the beginning of a new year, however, let me present a mosaic of student voices to offer unique and encouraging perspectives on Multnomah’s role in shaping lives.

• Kelsey Entz, a sophomore from Salem minoring in psychology, wanted an education that upheld biblical perspectives and imparted biblical values. For her, Multnomah is that place. She appreciates the sense of community, coupled with challenges to deepen her experience with God. “Multnomah is a place where we all share a common bond, a common mission in Christ,” she observes, “yet there is a diversity of student perspectives and experiences that enlarges my world view.”
  • A fifth semester senior from Reno, NV, Ted Jones majors in youth ministry under Dr. Rob Hildebrand. Ted learned of Multnomah through Reno’s Meadows Bible Institute. “My passion is youth ministry,” exclaims Ted, “and Multnomah’s YM program is tops.” But it’s the Multnomah community that Ted will never forget. “Relationships with students and faculty have impacted and changed me the most,” he says.
  • Heather Peacock transferred from a California Bible college. A second semester freshman, she is one of our first students to enroll in the new teacher education program. She was aware of Multnomah, drawn to the college because of its accreditation, but it was the new teacher education program that accelerated her decision. “I so appreciate Dr. Debi Miller,” says Heather. “She is a wonderful teacher and mentor, as well as a great program advisor for my interest in public school teaching.”
  • New to the seminary is Vitaliy Khashchuk, who begins the Friday-only Grad program this semester. Originally from the Ukraine, Vitaliy moved to Multnomah from Los Angeles with his wife Sharon and twenty month-old son David to study the Scriptures and prepare for ministry. “At first I didn’t think the timing was right,” reflects Vitaliy, “but encouragement from alumnus Andrew Romanov and from his pastor reinforced his sense that God was leading him to Multnomah right away. “I’m really looking forward to knowing the Bible better,” he says, “and allowing God to prepare me for an expanded ministry.”
  • Laura May is a pharmacist who commutes weekly from Olympia, WA for the Friday-only program. “I’ve known about Multnomah for years,” she explains, “but when Prof. Carley Wecks spoke at a church conference three years ago, I began thinking about the Grad program.” With a growing hunger to get deeper into the Word, she decided to look into the Multnomah’s Friday-only program more seriously. “The biblical emphasis at Multnomah was even better than I expected,” she says,” because the Word of God is central in all the classes, not just the Bible ones.” That, coupled with the personal encouragement of professors and the regular classroom prayer, has enriched Laura’s academic experience.

Community. Ministry preparation. Relationships. Caring professors. A deep commitment to the Word of God. These are some of the spiritual “tiles” of our college and seminary mosaic. By God’s grace, our students are experiencing life change. I believe God will use them to change the world.

Praying for life change in myself,

Daniel R. Lockwood, Ph.D.

President

Dr. Daniel R. Lockwood is Multnomah University's fourth president. Inaugurated in 1997, he has overseen an era of exceptional transitions. Under his leadership, Multnomah has achieved regional accreditation; solidified name and logo branding; changed to a University structure; built several buildings and launched numerous new programs.