A Message from the Alumni Director

8 comments Written on December 29th, 2010 by
Categories: Alumni, General

Person To Person - January 2011

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.” II Peter 1: 5-7

A few weeks ago, over a cup of coffee, a girlfriend of mine posed the question, “So now that you’ve completed your MA degree at Multnomah, what’s next in your goals for the year ahead?” Not having yet had the opportunity to really reflect upon the question, I was caught a little off guard. “I want to keep on doing what I’ve been doing — moving forward in the direction that I’m headed in," I thought. She went on to suggest some areas I might consider — you know the traditional ones we aim for at the top of a New Year ( i.e. to lose weight, become more physically fit, make space for relationships, etc.) and while offered in caring consideration, her proposal was somewhat disheartening.

As is custom at this time of year, we often find ourselves burdened with ambitious “to do” list — weighted with tasks to accomplish, goals to conquer, objectives to attain, ambitions we find the rest of the world engaged in and thus feel we should take on too. Yet, if we’re not careful, these well intended resolutions can become nothing more than an exercise in futility. Please don’t misunderstand me, I find it most appropriate at year’s end to look back at where we’ve come from in order to regain clear perspective for what’s ahead. In fact, I often find myself in meaningful reflection as I inventory the challenges and victories of life that have shaped me, but sometimes I think we just need to hear,

"You’ve come a long way, you’re on the right path…keep going!"

“Keep On Doing What You’re Doing!”

I appreciated Dr. Lockwood’s message to our December graduates this past month as they faced the long awaited graduation day. Encompassing feelings of exhaustion, as well as elation, his challenge to them really was quite simple: “Keep on doing what you’re doing!” In your pursuit of integrity, in your desire for biblical competence, and in your goal of ministry readiness “keep on doing what you’ve been doing!” In essence, he was reminding them of the very motivation for which they had begun their Multnomah journey. Their desire to live lives of integrity, to possess an expression of biblical competence, to be ambassadors in their world for Jesus Christ — This had been their goal during their tenure at Multnomah and would continue to be from hence on.

Often times, new resolutions made at the top of a year can sound familiar to commitments we’ve made to ourselves in the past: lose weight, be more active, be more engaged in community, become stronger readers, be better listeners, spend more time in the Word and in prayer – pursuits that are really lifelong goal and sometimes we just need a simple reminder to keep on doing what we’re doing.

A Reminder From Peter

In II Peter 1, the apostle challenges his readers, as he confirms their calling and election, in reminding them that they’ve been given everything they need for life and godliness: For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

I’m thankful for the opportunity, at the top of this New Year, to reflect on goals of years past; as well as for the reminder to keep pressing on in that which the Lord has called me to ahead. My encouragement to you would be the same. By doing things just to do them, because that is what we do at the top of a New Year, or even engaging in spiritual activity by spending time in the Word and prayer, because that is what we “should do” as believers, we can easily lose desire and motivation to continue on.

As we’re considering potential resolutions, in response to that which God has prompted within our own hearts, my prayer for us would be that by recognizing this truth — having everything we need for life and godliness, and by making an effort to pursue these characteristics of integrity, we would look to Him and desire to live lives in ways that showcase His glory. May the actions we engage in not become those of mere duty, but actual expressions of a faithful commitment from the convictions in which we live.

Pursuing Him in “Keeping On,”

Michelle M. Peel (MA ’10, BA ’00)

Director of Alumni Relations

Multnomah University

Multnomah Bible College and Multnomah Biblical Seminary

Director of Alumni Relations

8 comments “A Message from the Alumni Director”

Thank you for your encouraging words Michelle. I so enjoy receiving your updates. It was not that long ago when we walked side-by-side during our May graduation. I miss Multnomah and the friendships I had there. I continue to look for a chaplain position in the prisons while working full time at my current job, but I keep doing what I was doing while in school… falling more in love with my Savior as He leads me day by day. Blessings to you as you serve Him there.

You are most welcome, Amanda. So good to hear from you! Praying with you as you continue to seek Him for ministry opportunities ahead… May He continue to lead you day by day :)

May His richest blessings be yours and His favor rest upon you, Michelle

We so much appreciate your practical messages. We often use them as devotionals in groups that we work with. It is fun to find a handy way to finally let you know this.

Michelle,
Thank you so much for your challenges each month! For a young person like you, God has given you maturity that is full of wisdom. I enjoy reading your article each month and have a friend, who I forward them to, that enjoys them immensely.

Keep on keeping on!
Barb Olson Adair, 1969

January 5, 2011
Dear Friends,
It’s been over a year since I retired and last year I made a number of resolutions that I wanted to accomplished in 2010. They were:
1. I would like to do a lot more reading. – I accomplished this very well. I read 14 books this year, by 11 different authors. Six of the book were written by preachers who have become my mentors in the Christian faith.
2. I would like to pray more. – I started to do this, but I really didn’t know what to pray about. But I did develop a Prayer list in which to pray from.
3. I would like to E-Mail some things I am learning. – I did E-Mail more, but mostly they were things that had been forwarded to me.
4. I would like to exercise more. – I did start off good and it lasted for about 7 months. I exercised 3 days a week but then transportation got to be a problem, so I started to walk around the neighborhood until I just plain quit. I was up to walking a mile in about 20 minutes.
5. I would like to also find something to do as well. – I called my church in order to volunteer and they gave a job of cleaning up between the 9 AM service and the 11 AM service.
6. I would also like to attend the 55 Alive Ministry, the Senior Ministry at church. I also want to get involved in a Life group. – Of these, I went to the 55 Alive meeting twice and attended two of their music concert functions. But then again, transportation got to be a problem. So instead I started once again to attend the Men’s Fraternity meetings every week at my church. I did got involved in a Life group this year and we are studying Revelation.
There has been some things I have done which were not planned.
In March, my wife and I celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary by renewing our vows before about 50 of our friends and relatives in a banquet room at the Doubletree Hotel here in Sacramento. While I participated in it with my wife, I also mostly directed and wrote the whole program.
I also purchased a Bible Study Tool called GLO which I call my new toy. This tool contains besides the Bible in 5 different translations, 450 Virtual tours of the Holy Land, videos of documentary about the life of Christ and the Bible, Photos of the world of the Bible, Articles on topics of the Bible, 140 maps of the Bible, and a place for notes and a journal.
I continue to attend Bible Study Fellowship every week. This year I invited my brother-in-law to attend with me, so I had transportation. That way my wife doesn’t have to bring me and wait 2 hours until we get out. This year BSF is studying for the first time the Book of Isaiah.
As I said earlier, I have developed a group of preacher who have become my mentors. They are Rick Warren, Dr. Charles Stanley, Dr. David Jeremiah, and Dr. Charles Swindoll. Every day I listen to their radio program on the internet and read the devotional they write as well.
I also attended two new ministries at our church. The first was another men’s meeting which dealt with learning 12 Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life. The second was in a ministry called the University of Life in which I took a class on the doctrine of God.
So that is mostly what I have done this year. It has kept me busy and I feel I have come to enjoy my retirement.

Now for 2011, I have developed 8 goals. They are:
Goals for 2011
1.Read through the Old Testament through Insight for Living’s Bible Reading Guide from the Ministry of Dr. Charles Swindoll
2.Read through the Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, the “Left Behind” book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, and the book Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
3.To be able to walk a mile in 20 minutes (Begin exercising again)
4.Vacation in Phoenix from February 10 till 20, attending the Dr. David Jeremiah Rally on February 10, A BSF Bible Study in Scottsdale, AZ, and celebrating with my mother’s on her 85 birthday.
5.Develop a Scrapbook for Spiritual Development containing my calender, my Doctrinal Statement, all the sermon notes for all the sermons, what I read in the Bible and my testimony on how I came to Christ.
6.Try to develop a Spiritual Tool Kit for my grandsons.
A Bible
A Spiritual Tool Kit Journal
The book “The Purpose Driven Life”
A DVD of the Jesus Movie
A Spiritual Tool Kit T-Shirt
7. Develop a Doctrines for
Mankind
After Life: Heaven, Hell, and Judgment
Return of Christ
8, Continue to listen and read from my Mentors.
My prayer request for are for the year are:
1.That I may grow deeper in my walk with Christ.
2.To be filled with a knowledge of the will of God.
3.To bear fruit in my good walk.
4.To increase in a knowledge of God.
5.To be strengthen with the power of the Holy Spirit.
6.That I might find myself an accountability partner.
7.That I might find a mode of transportation.
Mostly I would have you pray that I might end strong in the Lord in the remaining days of my life.
Your Brother in Christ,
Frank Little
PO Box 2215
Citrus Heights, CA 95611
(916) 764-0397
FrankLittle2003@Yahoo.Com

Michelle, I’m not surprised – once again you’ve captured the essence
of what we’re about: “we (would) look to Him
and desire to live lives
in ways that showcase
His glory.”!
AS YOU SAY: “You’re on the right path…”
Appreciation, Ken

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Daryl, Joanne, Barb, Frank and Ken! What a great joy it is to be able to represent such an amazing group of people. I appreciate each of you so very much!

What a blessing to see how God continues to use that which He is teaching me to encourage the lives of our Multnomah Alumni.

Praying His richest blessings upon each of you in this New Year! :)

For His glory,

Michelle

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Darrel, Joanne, Barb, Frank and Ken! What a great joy it is to be able to represent such an amazing group of people. I appreciate each of you so very much! What a blessing to see how God continues to use that which He is teaching me to encourage the lives of our Multnomah Alumni. Praying His richest blessings upon each of you in this New Year! :) For His glory, Michelle