Where Are They Now? – Laurie Cardoza

2 comments Written on December 31st, 2010 by
Categories: Alumni, General

Laurie Cardoza

(BS ’99, MA  TESOL ’10)

Does God really have a plan for our lives? Can we trust Him? Really? As I prepare for the mission field I have, with confidence, proclaimed that I trust Him completely. What I realized the other day, though, was that trust is strong as long as God works according to my plans. It is so easy to trust when things are going well, but what happens when we are tested? What happens when our plans differ from the Lord’s?

A number of months ago, I was innocently working in the Intercultural Studies Department at Multnomah when God

stirred things up in my life.  I was invited to join a ministry team in Medellin, Colombia. As I prayed about the wisdom in leaving a stable job in this economy to raise support, God answered quickly. He took away my stable job. God has provided a temporary job as I prepare for the field, but the process of being laid off at Multnomah strongly confirmed God’s call to Colombia. I am currently in the support discovery process as I prepare to move to Medellin, Colombia to work with kids at risk. Through this process God has made it very clear that He has called me to work with these children in Colombia. As a result, I have felt confident that He would stir people’s hearts to join my support team.

God's Timeline

Trouble hit, though, when I realized that God was in control of even my timeline. As I realized that I might not be in Colombia when I had planned, I am embarrassed to say, I had a mini meltdown at the feet of Jesus. After whining and complaining, I sensed God gently reminding me that He loves me…He really cares about this process…He truly is in control of this process, as well as every other aspect of my life. While His timing is not my own, He knows best when my feet should hit the ground in Colombia.

Following my little tirade, I was reminded of a verse in Job, “I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted” (Job 42:2).  God truly is in control of our lives and He desires us to hold our plans with open hands as we trust Him.

“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes His steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)

Meet the author

Laurie Cardoza (BS ’99, MA  TESOL ’10)  worked in the Intercultural Studies Department at Multnomah University for seven years before being called to work with kids at risk in Medellin, Colombia. She has recently been appointed with WorldVenture and is planning to partner with a small organization (Open Arms Foundation) in Medellin.

Submit your story

"Where are they now?" is published monthly in our Alumni Connection e-newsletter.  Alumni interested in submitting their story to be considered for publication can do so by contacting the alumni department for more details.

Tags:

Director of Alumni Relations

2 comments “Where Are They Now? – Laurie Cardoza”

I mostly wanted to say that this was a great encouragement to me. I have to daily remind myself of this. I have to remind myself daily of how God has supported me all throughout my education at Multnomah and through my Master’s program. As I am now seeking a full time position I have to remember that it will happen, it may not be when or what I expect, but it will be for God’s glory and purpose!

I also wanted to say that this story is encouraging – and that I loved God’s way of showing you that you would be taken care of even in a recession for choosing an opportunity to benefit the greater good. That said, you, too, should be receiving congratulations for having the presence of mind to be aware of your choices, your relationship with God and the options and decisions before you. Best of luck!