Of Bible Marathons and Galaxies

2 comments Written on June 30th, 2011 by
Categories: Alumni, General

Message From the Alumni Director

"When I look at Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You care for him?" Psalm 8:3-4

Marathon of Praise

This past weekend, I had the privilege of co-hosting a Bible Marathon for our church community. We spent Friday evening reading aloud through the book of Proverbs and all day Saturday worshipping together in song, liturgy, and reflection as we made our way through the book of Psalms.

Having just returned from Southern California a few weeks prior, in hosting two of our regional alumni events with Professor David Needham, I felt as if I’d been given a greater perspective for allowing these 150 songs of praise to settle deep within my heart. As our keynote speaker, Professor Needham addressed the topic of the Bible and the stars. He poignantly demonstrated for us the honor we have of being in relationship with a God who is absolutely amazing! A God, to whose vastness and splendor none other can be compared... A God who gives names to the myriads of stars in countless galaxies and yet is near to us and heals the brokenhearted (Psalm 147:3-4). With a span of 100,000 light years across, our Milky Way is only one within hundreds of billions of other galaxies within the universe that He has created — a universe that sits, as the prophet Isaiah declared, within the very palm of His hand. Indeed, He is a God who is truly amazing — beyond and bigger than anything we could ever imagine.

Mindful of Stars and Dust

The heavens are telling of His glory as they shout aloud, both to us and to the world: Our God is absolutely amazing! Along with the psalmist, I can’t help but consider the thought:

It’s overwhelming to imagine that a God so marvelous…so majestic…so divine would even consider, let alone take delight in, knowing me — a seemingly insignificant glimpse of a minute presence on the radar of history…a vapor…an infinitesimal little life that is known and prized by Majesty. Just as He knows each star by name, He knows me by “my name” and He deeply and intimately loves me. What incredible “significant” insignificance!

As we consider the God we worship, we gain new perspective on who we are and who He is — A God who is compassionate and gracious…a God who is slow to anger and abounding in love…a God who is holy and righteous and above all other. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him…as far as the east is from the west so has He removed our transgressions from us. All praise be to His holy name!

Unshakable Hands

Wherever you may find yourself in your awareness of who our God is today, my prayer is that by gaining new perspective we would all become more aware of the great and awesome God it is that we love and serve. For a God who holds the entire universe, no matter what we may be facing, there is nothing that can shake us from His hand. May we be humbled as we realize the great significance He brings to our lives and live in light of that truth.

In closing Saturday’s Marathon with Psalm 150, we sang together “Let Everything That Has Breath” Praise the Lord! Praise Him in His sanctuary, Praise Him in His mighty Heavens…Praise Him for His acts of power…Praise Him for His surpassing greatness…Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!

In Humble Adoration and Praise to Him,

Michelle M. Peel (MA‘10, BA ’00)
Director of Alumni Relations
Multnomah University
Multnomah Bible College and Seminary

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Director of Alumni Relations

2 comments “Of Bible Marathons and Galaxies”

Michelle-
Just took a break from my work and was moved to tears as I worshipped our mighty God with you. Thank you once again.

Thanks so much for your message, Connie. I’m so encouraged to hear that this month’s Alumni Connection was an encouragement to you. Indeed He is mighty and worthy of our worship and praise. Blessings to you, Michelle