World Citizen First, MU Student Second

5 comments Written on November 17th, 2011 by
Categories: General, Students

Multnomah University just couldn't be what it is without its students. This post is part of a new series written by students, about students. Our hope is that prospective students can get a feel for what the student body is like and alumni can get to know who it is that they support.

Our first featured student is Jenae Kaldunski, a missionary kid from Medford, Oregon.

Jenae Kaldunski

Hometown: Medford, Oregon has been my home for the last 9 years. I was a missionary kid so I consider myself, as my mentor phrases it, "a citizen of the world."

Class: Sophomore

Major(s):  Bible and Elementary Education

Jenae with Wendy Johnson, a fellow MU student.

Where’s the best place to be in Portland, in your opinion?
Honestly Multnomah is my favorite place to be anywhere, let alone Portland. Outside of that I have a couple of other places. One is a coffee shop, the other is a store, and the other is church. My favorite coffee shop, Monti’s, is inside an antique store and has the best chai. And one of my favorite stores is Vintage Pink on Hawthorne. And on Saturday night my favorite place to be is at Solid Rock downtown for the 8 pm service.

What is your favorite class?
My favorite class is Marriage and Family with Bonnie and Tom Kopp. Their teaching style is incredible. They co-teach with no planning ahead of time and both talk equally. It is amazing just to watch them.

Who is your favorite professor?
My favorite professor is definitely Dr. Kutz. I had him for my first class at Multnomah (Pentateuch). I never left a class without being challenged. One of my favorite things he told me was that Multnomah is a great place to get the dust shaken up and then settled in the sense of figuring out what I believe. I respect him so much and he cares about his students.

Any words of wisdom to incoming freshmen?
Expect to be challenged in your presuppositions about God, why you do things, who you are, and how you grew up. But also know that Multnomah is a safe place to be challenged because there are people here- professors, staff, mentors, RA’s, friends- to support you, who you can ask questions of, and walk through issues with you. And God is big enough to handle our imperfections and issues as we work through them.

Tags:

5 comments “World Citizen First, MU Student Second”

What a great story! I like this feature and it is something to look forward to on the MU blog. I’d love to hear more of this student’s story-maybe we can follow up in Muse student magazine!

“a citizen of the world.” very well said. I like it.

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My website is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks!

Marty – quote and credit away! Thanks for asking.

This is a great series! I love hearing from the perspective of students. Your words of wisdom are great, and the last line in particular is very quotable.