Limited Sky, Unlimited God

3 comments Written on December 8th, 2011 by
Categories: Alumni, General

Sky Cady - Class of '03

I always thought I would end up serving the Lord in a third world country, bringing the gospel to those who had never heard the name of Jesus. During a final SWOT chapel of my senior year, a fire was lit within me for the nations and since that time I’ve visited and/or served short term in 34 different countries. Recently I landed in the United Kingdom—a far cry from the picture I originally imagined in the Congo, or the Maldives.

Though England is a western power and provides a more comfortable lifestyle, according to Operation World, only 8.8% are evangelical Christians. And the Christians here would say it’s much less than that.

One of the greatest influences on my life and calling was a missionary from Malaysia (I think) who spoke one year in Chapel. He said something like 90% of those who are trained for Christian ministry are trained right here in America, and of those—95% stay in America. Whatever truth was in that statement, I took it to heart and tried to do something about it. Since then I’ve tried to take every opportunity possible to train Christians to have a world perspective on faith, and supporting Christians in other countries. The UK is in need of Christian leaders who know Jesus Christ, and the Power of the Holy Spirit.

The Flame from Multnomah

After I graduated from Multnomah I found in myself a deepening, crazy and inspiring desire to read and digest the Bible more than ever before. I would spend hours reading the Word, writing, and then reading more theology. After a year of this I thought, “I’m spending all this time and energy, why not get a degree?” Last year I received a MAT at Fuller Theological Seminary with an emphasis in missions.

Vineyard Church to Church of England

While spending time in the Word, God grew within my heart the centrality of the Church for missions in the world. I never thought I would be good at pastoring. I have too much energy, I am not a counselor, and I never really liked studying that much, but God slowly opened my mind to pioneering within the church. I became a youth and worship pastor at a Vineyard church in Cambria, California. The transition out of that church into the Church of England would be a shock to most. The Anglicans have some well-known stereotypes for being stoic, traditional, unmoving, or hard hearted to the Holy Spirit, but the British I’ve met are not what I thought. God put the UK on my mind and after some good advice and great conversations with mentors I decided to check out the Church of England’s website. Two Skype interviews later I was offered the job. The only problem was that I was offered a similarly incredible opportunity at a large church within my hometown at the same time. At 5am in the morning I was to make the decision; I could not decide. “Lord, you’ve blessed both of these opportunities, you’ve answered numerous prayers in both, and logically they both make sense.” After two weeks of silence He said, “Sky, you need to move forward in my blessing knowing that I will be with you either way.” I flew to England and found myself in the 8am liturgical service (so boring I counted the ceiling squares) and questioned, “So what’s the deal God, anything else I should know?” He said, “They’ve heard what I want, and that’s you (to be here).” They’ve been praying for freshness and a new season to see the Holy Spirit move in new ways. Now after leading my first service I believe and expect this will happen.

Why the Transition?

I wish I could tell you my life has been one big adventure without pain, but in 2009 after 1.5 years of marriage, my wife left me. I felt destroyed and couldn’t function or hear God. Prayer dimmed, but relational closeness with the church family, and the overpowering presence of God in our gatherings exploded for me. Over the last two years my heart has been healing, and though the scar will always be there, I expect the experience will continue to produce Christ within me, with an overwhelming appreciation and desire for reconciliation in relationships.

Now What?

A few months ago, I sold everything and moved across the globe. I brought over two suitcases, my guitar and Jesus. A great adventure has begun and now I’m leading a Youth and Young Adults Ministry at All Saints Weston Church in Bath, England, where half of my job is overseeing a staff who ministers to 30=year-olds and younger. It’s a jump in responsibility and all without my precious library of books and resources. God help me!

Holy Spirit, do in and through me what I cannot accomplish on my own. I pray the same for those who read this. Our life with Christ is not static, but active and dynamic. Though He meets us in the silence, suffering and stillness, I often find myself falling into a rut of habit that turns off adventure and creativity in my life with Christ. The ship is safe in the harbor but that’s not what it was made for. We were made to sail the rough seas of pouring out our lives so that others may live.

About the Author

Sky Cady graduated from Multnomah Bible College in 2003. He has been serving part and full time in youth, young adults, and worship ministry since 2004: first in Washington with “The Summer Discipleship School, then in Cambria, California as youth and worship pastor at Cambria Vineyard Church. He finished his masters degree at Fuller Theological Seminary in Theology and Intercultural Studies in 2010 . Now he serves as the youth and young adults pastor at All Saints Weston Church in Bath, England. In his spare time he enjoys fishing, mountain biking, climbing, and plays a little futbol.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments “Limited Sky, Unlimited God”

Sky,

It looks like you are doing good. It is nice to know that I knew you when you were in youth camp. You have proven to me that investments in youth ministry pay dividends.

Merry Chistmas all of you

Happy X-mas all of us