University Students Host Community Worship Event

4 comments Written on April 27th, 2012 by
Categories: General

Going Back to the Heart of Worship

Multnomah University student Carl Laws has organized a community worship event on Saturday, May 12, titled Going Back to the Heart of Worship. Laws will headline the event and feature fellow student Hannah Glavor. Both musicians are motivated by a desire to bless the community in a time of worship that features something for everyone in a variety of musical styles.

When

Doors open at 6:00 pm. The concert begins at 7:00 pm.

Where

The concert will be held in Lytle Gymnasium, located on Multnomah’s campus at 8435 Northeast Glisan Street in Portland.

Price

A $3 donation at the door will benefit The Mentoring Project.

“It is my heart’s passion to bring the Multnomah student body, local churches, and the Portland community together for a Night of Worship,” Carl Laws said. “I am inspired by many types of music – especially different types of worship music – so it will be fun to have a little something for everyone.”

“It’s not just through music that I want to impact the community,” adds Laws. “I’m especially passionate about impacting the lives of others. This is why we chose to have proceeds from the event go directly to the work that The Mentoring Project is doing in the lives of those who are fatherless.”

More Information

Contact Kristin Kendall at procom@multnomah.edu or 503.251.6452 if you have questions.

Visit The Mentoring Project’s website at http://thementoringproject.org/ for more information about their work with fatherless children.

Tags: , ,

4 comments “University Students Host Community Worship Event”

thank you

Carl,
I am glad to hear that you are going to incorporate a lot of different styles in this worship service. Please tell me more. I am 56 and I enjoy many styles of worship music, from the hymns found in “Hymns for the Family of God” put together by the Gaithers in the 70s, to Hillsong, to the top Worship Songs sung in Seeker sensitive churches and mega churches. The important thing is that it is singable (just the melody or in 4 or more part harmony) and that the words are consistent with the Holy Scriptures and give glory to God through prayer and praise and confession. What percentatge will be the older hymns and what percentage will be songs written in the last 10 or 20 years? I have a brother who lives in Portland, and was a church organist and pianist, until the pastor and certain others of the church complained too often that he tried to bring in too many different styles of music into their worship service. He also has a great voice, he never found another church where he belonged or where he wanted to try being the pianist or organist again. Please pray for him if you think of it.
Best regards,
Your Brother in Christ,
Kevin