Appreciating Grandma & My MU Days

Comments Off Written on May 8th, 2012 by
Categories: 75th Anniversary, Alumni, General

Dena Rosko ('96-97)

Adeline McIntyre, my grandma, spoke often, and always spoke well, of her days at Multnomah School of the Bible in Portland, Oregon. Grandma attended Multnomah School of the Bible in 1943 and graduated in 1946 with a degree in Bible and a certificate in evangelical teaching.

After graduating high school, which she had finished one year early, Grandma moved to Bellevue, Wash. to work at the Lake Washington Naval Shipyard to save money to attend Multnomah. She had turned down Washington State University, who had offered her a full-ride scholarship, and Central and Eastern, who had also offered her scholarships.

Lasting Friendships

Grandma, along with her friends at Multnomah—three seniors and three juniors—together earned the reputation as the “seven little sinners saved by grace.” “I was the lowly freshman,” Grandma said. “If there was anything unusual that happened [on campus], like the garbage cans on the porch of the boy’s dorm, they [students and staff] blamed it on the 'seven sinners saved by grace.'"

Grandma chose Multnomah due in part to what is still considered a Multnomah hallmark: the people. She met Multnomah students when she competed in the Christian Endeavor Bible Quiz Competition as a high school student in 1940 and 1941, and it was these students whose friendship influenced Grandma to attend Multnomah. Grandma’s Multnomah friendships were lasting friendships and she kept in touch with her classmates as best she could, and appreciated visits from the Alumni Relations department staff.

Singing in the First A Cappella Choir

Grandma loved to sing, and while at Multnomah, she toured Pacific northwestern cities in Multnomah’s first a cappella choir, which was entirely composed of women due to World War II, as a first and second soprano.

Academics and Influence

Grandma excelled academically at Multnomah. Grandma valued the instruction she received at Multnomah, and with fondness and humor recalled the professors who taught her there. Grandma liked Dr. Lee’s view on marriage. “When you’re married, be sure you don’t neglect the good-night kiss—even if it’s a cold potato!”

Another favorite professor, Dr. Sutcliffe, told her class, “God looks down from His Mountain and sees man’s choice and His salvation.” After Dr. Sutcliffe’s lecture, Grandma “felt peace and assurance” in her salvation. “I never questioned my salvation again,” she told me, confiding that she had doubted her salvation before she came to Multnomah. Multnomah continued influencing Grandma and she them for the rest of her life. Even Michelle, the alumni director, wrote a message for Grandma for her life celebration service after Grandma passed away in 2010.

My Multnomah Days

I grew up hearing Grandma's stories of Multnomah. I opted to study for a year of Theology, Bible, and Journalism at Multnomah. The year grounded me in a faith of my own, especially as expressed through prayer. I started a Military Prayer Group, where we prayed for our friends and family in the service, collaborated in AWANA, a children's development ministry, visited a nearby nursing home, participated with the college newspaper, and generally learned the social skills required when living away from home for the first time.

Shared Legacy

Grandma portrayed Multnomah as a school grounded in biblical faith that encouraged growth while sharing with people who had compassion, pragmatism and a sense of humor. I smile to remember Grandma embodying each of those virtues.

Multnomah benefited me during my year by providing a grounding and network for my faith. Biblical study challenged my assumptions of what it meant to communicate Christian life, and prayer provided the energy to trust God. I felt honored to meet some of Grandma's fellow alumni at MU's 60th Anniversary Celebration, or Founder's Day, under the slogan, If its Bible you want, then you want Multnomah!'

I continue to appreciate Grandma’s influence that led me to attend Multnomah for my first year of college. She showed me in her story telling and by example the value of prayer, biblical study, hard work, friendship, and the enjoyment of special times, and while at Multnomah, I experienced such merits for myself.

About the Author

Dena Rosko attended Multnomah in 1996-1997. She went on to graduate from University of Washington with a BA in English/Communication and from Gonzaga University with a MA in Communication and Leadership. She now consults and develops grassroots, start up, and ministry organizations with communication, writing, and photography. She volunteers those services as part of her ministry in Renton, Wash., where she attends Highlands Community Church. She enjoys road trips in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, James, classic movies, indie music, and tea dates with friends.

Tags: , , , , , , ,