Hiding His Word

4 comments Written on September 4th, 2012 by
Categories: Alumni, Faculty, General

“Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.” (Psalm 119:11)

I was recently reminded again of why it is that I absolutely love being a part of the ministry of Multnomah! Sitting in Dr. Stephen Kim’s BIB503 class this past week, I was poignantly provided with a reaffirmation of ministry, vision and purpose.

An Important Question

After working through the class syllabus, objectives, course requirements, etc.; Kim held up the Bible in his left hand and posed the following question:

“As we come to study this important book, what makes this book, that we call the Bible, the Word of God? Why do you have such confidence in it? What makes it so authoritative that it would have any kind of spiritual authority over your life?”

Dr. Kim listened to responses while affirming insights that came from places of deep convictions and then, with great confidence and enthusiasm, replied:

“This book—the Bible—though being one book encompasses sixty-six individual books in all. It was written by forty distinctive authors, throughout forty different generations and over a span of 1,500 years. It was written from three separate continents (Africa, Europe and Asia Minor), and in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic) embracing an array of diversity in backgrounds. Shepherds, priests, kings, physicians, fishermen and peasants all declare in one unified voice, predicting and affirming the nature of one central character—the person of Jesus Christ, the Messiah!”

Starting in Genesis and working his way through to Revelation, Kim noted prediction after prediction and fulfillment after another, as he addressed the uniqueness and veracity of this very special book.

He then challenged us:

“If indeed the Bible is the Word of God, what does that mean for you and for me and the way we live our lives?"

Answering Great Questions

At Multnomah we are focused on answering this “what if” question. As we educate men and women in the power and authority of Scripture, our desire is that they would live lives in response to God’s Word as they encourage others to do the same.

In Psalm 119, the psalmist declares “Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee.” Recognizing the power and authority of Scripture, David identifies God’s Word as an important tool for governing one’s morals, values and lifestyle. This summer, along with the staff at Multnomah, I had the opportunity to memorize the book of Colossians. We met weekly to discuss the content of Scripture, rehearse the passages for the week and share insights gained throughout our meditation. As I began to pour over and meditate on the truths of Scripture—the reality of my eternal destination (Colossians 1:13-14), the supremacy of Christ (Colossians 1:15ff), the rules for holy living (Colossians 3), etc.; I began to recognize in a fresh way the authority of this unique book and the importance of hiding these truths within my heart.

Allowing Space for Scripture

Acknowledging my own brokenness and propensity towards sin, I realize the great need for going beyond acquiring accomplishments and adding to my scripture memory repertoire. While hiding God’s Word is certainly a part of understanding truth, memorizing it and meditating upon it; more importantly I believe it is allowing space for Scripture to speak into our lives and to impact the way we live. My prayer for us today is that as we continue to grow in our knowledge of God’s Word, as we meditate on, and memorize it; that it would be hidden deep within our hearts, illuminating our paths and truly impacting the way that we live.

Hiding His Word within,

Michelle M. Peel, B.A. ‘00, M.A. ‘10
Director of Alumni Relations
Multnomah University—Multnomah Bible College, Biblical Seminary and Graduate School

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Director of Alumni Relations

4 comments “Hiding His Word”

Wow! That is a big job. I am proud of you. It took me about 5 years to memorize Ephesians chapter two. It has been a blessing to me. It took repetition, repetition and more repetition. I’m not good at memorizing, but it can be done if we put ourselves to it. It takes discipline. It has God’s blessing, Psalm 1. Lynn

I submitted my comment. What did I do wrong? I am computer illiterate. It has to be very simple.

Hello Lynn,

You didn’t do anything wrong! Because of the amount of spam or other distasteful comments that come to the Blog, we have to manually approve each comment. So sometimes it takes a bit to do. We wish we could just let all comments go up, but with the gross stuff that comes in automatically, we can’t. Thanks for hanging in there!

Thanks so much for your response, Lynn. You are correct…a lot of repetition indeed, but such great truths to rehearse, aren’t they?. I was meditating again on Colossians this morning on my drive into work. Such powerful words…May they continue to impact our hearts and lives and the way that we live. Amen.