Student: Future Pilot & Overseas Missionary

1 Comment » Written on January 30th, 2013 by
Categories: Alumni, General, Students

Multnomah University just couldn't be what it is without its students. This post is part of a new series written by students, about students. Our hope is that prospective students can get a feel for what the student body is like and alumni can get to know who it is that they support.

Tim Reed is a jazz musician with a passion for missions. Check out where Tim sees God leading him after his Multnomah training.

Tim Reed

Hometown: Vancouver, Washington

Year/Status: Full-time Sophomore

Major(s): Intercultural Studies and Missionary Aviation

What has been your best experience at Multnomah?

How could anything rival Cinco De Mustache? The feeling of community was so strong, and we were all banded together celebrating the quirkyness of Multnomah. Made me feel right at home, and it felt very Portlandy, which is nice, having grown up right around here.

Second only to that experience has been working with the amazing staff of Muse Magazine, our student publication. It's such an honor to be allowed to weigh in on current social issues with this great team.

What do you plan to do after graduation? 

Well, the goal is that a year after graduation I'll move overseas as a missions pilot/aircraft mechanic with an agency like JAARS (Wycliffe Bible Translators) or New Tribes Missions to aid the efforts on Bible translation and missions in remote areas of the world. I'm thinking and praying pretty extensively about Indonesia right now.

Lewis or Tolkien? 

Is there any question? It's no secret on campus that I'm really not a Lewis fan at all. While Lewis states theological truth in analogies at once contrived and cryptic, Tolkien actually writes enjoyable literature with motivating plot lines, majestic settings, and interesting characters. 'Nuff said.

What are some of your hobbies?

I love to play jazz piano and tenor sax, which occupies much of my time away from campus. I've been studying jazz now for about seven years, and I'm always finding ways to improve and make myself a more interesting musician and entertainer. It's really a joy getting to play, and there's nothing more enjoyable than playing good music with friends of a similar mind and heart.

A side benefit is that my hobby is finally starting to pay off and help fund my missions aviation training, which has been a blessing.

Meet More Students

See the rest of the series.

Tags: , , , ,

One Response to “Student: Future Pilot & Overseas Missionary”

Jim and Wendy have been good friends of ours since Multnomah days over 40 years ago. We have lost touch with them over the years. Would you be able to help us in contacting them? If you can email them and tell that we would like their email address, we would very much appreciate it. Our email address is donthorndike@gmail.com.

Blessings, and Thank you!