Making a Way in the Wilderness

2 comments Written on March 6th, 2013 by
Categories: Faculty, General

The following is a guest post from adjunct professor Cornelia Becker Seigneur about the upcoming Faith and Culture Writer's Conference that will be held from April 5-6, 2013

Making a Way in the Wilderness

By Cornelia Becker Seigneur

WIt is so exciting to be back this year for the second Faith & Culture Writers Conference on April 5 and 6, 2013.  I am especially grateful to be at Multnomah University where I serve as the faculty advisor for MUSE student publication, which I helped launch in 2011.  I have been an adjunct professor at Multnomah since 2010, and I am thrilled that Multnomah has caught the vision for this conference.

I have been a freelance journalist for The Oregonian since 1996, specializing in faith, culture, family and community stories.  Bottom line is I pen positive stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things.  Over the years, people have asked me how I got started writing and how am I able to share so many stories of faith. I believe that our culture is hungry for stories that share hope and faith and community.  We need to be looking for those stories and be willing to share them.  Creativity and the literary arts — indeed, all the arts — are a gift from the Creator.

I love connecting and networking engaging fellow people of faith to encourage them to embrace their creative calling. I have always viewed my writing as a ministry, as a calling, as a way to share truth.  Quoting Martin Luther on my Twitter account, I believe that, “If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write.”

Community of Writers

At Rolling Hills, I had put out a call for writers of any and all genres to meet for a time of fellowship.  We had 50 people show up in a space for 25. It showed me that people of faith are interested in this creative calling and they want to gather in community to encourage one another.  Fellow believers are looking for a place to bond around their mutual love for creativity and the Word.  That is when we began dreaming of a larger event, where we would gather hundreds of creative people of faith together for a day to engage, encourage, challenge, and inspire one another in this mutual creative calling on our lives.

I had been involved with the Network for Women in Leadership at Western Seminary, where they used to host a women’s writers conference every other year under the direction of Bev Hislop.  She decided to cease that conference, but was open to something new.  That is when we began meeting and talking about my vision for the Faith & Culture Writers Conference.  She loved the idea and allowed us along with a great leadership team to bring the conference to their campus in 2011.

It was such a wonderful, overwhelmingly positive day filled with creative energy.  I had people come up to me during the event and say they’ve never been to anything like it.  One man wanted to duplicate this in the Seattle area.  Something about the event struck a cord.  People asked if we would return in 2012, but my daughter Rachel was getting married that year and so I knew I could not plan it.  But, 2013 was on my radar.

Another Conference

When the time got closer to think about another conference, Western Seminary decided they were going in another direction (plus, we had outgrown that venue our first year), so I approached Multnomah University.  That made the most sense to me as I am on staff there.  I am grateful that Dean of Campus Life Dave Groom–whom I report to as the faculty advisor for MUSE student publication–loved the idea as well.

God laid on my heart those who should help head up the conference this year.  It was a no-brainer to have Bethany Jackson return.  I asked her to join our conference leadership planning team in 2011 and her expertise in event management and facility coordinating was priceless.  This year, Bethany serves as Administrative Assistant.  Kari Patterson was another one that came to mind right away as another potential planning team member.  Kari introduced herself to me at the 2011 conference after the breakout session I led on Freelance Writing.  A fellow West Linn mom, Kari’s soft heart and drive to write is contagious, and she happily joined the team for the 2013 conference, serving as the communications coordinator.  I met Ashley Larkin, this year’s literary agent and mentor coordinator, two years ago, falling in love first with her writing on her blog.

With so many shared connections, including West Linn and the University of Portland, I invited her to my Writers Connection at Rolling Hills, and we have been friends ever since. Her soft heart and get-it-done attitude are exemplary, and our theme verse Isaiah 43:19 came from her.  Ana Brors, our Social Media strategist and web designer, reached out to me on our Faith & Culture Writers Connection Facebook page this year.  She had attended our 2011 event and loved it.  I found her expertise in social media so helpful, asking her to join our leadership planning team as well.

Conference Speakers

We are excited about our top-notch line up of speakers for 2013. Some big names — William Paul Young, author of The Shack, Ken Wytsma, The Justice Conference Founder, Brian Doyle, author of 13 books, Dan Merchant, filmmaker and producer of Lord, Save Us From Your Followers — and we also have some lesser known names whom I am excited to introduce into the conversation around the intersection of faith and culture and the arts– Keith Turley, author, publisher and marketer from Seattle, Tyler Braun, 20-something pastor, blogger, and author, and Christal Jenkins, speaker and author of three books.  And, Martin French, an exquisite artist, illustrator and art professor, once again designed our classy WORDS logo, incorporating our new theme.

One of the things noted on the survey we took after the conference in 2011 was that people wanted more fellowship during the conference. Time to talk with fellow attendees and speakers.  So we have added Friday night this year, and an after the event social hour on Saturday.

Contact Information

home

a version of this post is found at Faith & Culture Writer's Conference website

Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments “Making a Way in the Wilderness”

Cornelia, We are so grateful that God gave you a vision for this Conference. What an honor to be a part of such an exciting event! We cant wait!

Thanks for posting this! We are really excited to be at Multnomah this year! It is an honor to serve as the faculty advisor for MUSE student publication, and now to bring this conference to MU! Can’t wait! Be sure to register early for best rates!
http://faithandculturewriters.com/home/

Cornelia