United by Faith: MU Welcomes New Students

Comments Off Written on August 23rd, 2013 by
Categories: Students

‘I just felt God wanted me here’

One student is a commuter majoring in business administration. Another is a guitarist who wants to make the most of his musical gifts. Still another is an aspiring missionary pilot who plans to focus on aviation technology.

Our freshmen are here for a lot of different reasons, but they all have one thing in common: an unshakeable faith in God. And they arrived on campus August 22 for a four-day orientation program that spoke to the heart of the Multnomah community.

Orientation_full“I was drawn to Multnomah because I just felt God wanted me here,” says Juan Gonzalez, a 19-year-old guitar player from Woodburn, Oregon. “I’m really excited about what everyone has to say about the Bible and what’s been revealed to them.”

‘Portland is my favorite city’

Dylan Myerson, 20, takes his studies seriously. He came to Multnomah from Poipu, Hawaii, to major in aviation technology. He knows the academic environment at MU will keep him grounded in God’s Word – and it doesn’t hurt that he’s a big fan of Portland.

“I’ve traveled extensively throughout the U.S., and Portland is my favorite city,” says Myerson. “As far as Multnomah goes, I had a bunch of different choices. But Multnomah is the only Christian school I looked at on the West Coast that had a mission emphasis in its aviation program.”

‘A place I can call home’

Heidi Birch, an 18-year-old from Portland, Oregon, is pursuing a business degree. She decided to come to Multnomah after attending our College Preview program. “God truly spoke to me, and I could see the light of God in everyone,” she says. “They all want to be part of something so much bigger than themselves.”

And even though Birch is commuting to school, she’s already part of the Multnomah community. “I feel welcome here – students who live on campus have already shown me their dorm rooms,” she says. “I feel like this is a place I can call home.”

Tags: , , , ,