MU Celebrates its 50-Year Alumni during Graduation Week

Comments Off Written on May 7th, 2014 by
Categories: Alumni, Events
Every year, Multnomah honors its graduates of 50 years by inducting them into our 50-Year Alumni Society. To applaud this important achievement, we have a special day of celebration planned on Friday May 9, 2014. This year will mark our 13th annual celebration.
MU's 50-Year Alum Society

MU's 50-Year Alum Society

The day's events

The day's activities will include baccalaureate chapel, a special luncheon and induction ceremony, a 50-year class reunion and tour of the campus. The day will conclude with participation in Multnomah's graduation ceremony at Rolling Hills Community Church. It will be a wonderful time to reconnect with friends and review the Lord's faithfulness over the last 50 years.

'These society members are a testimony to us and to the generations that have followed'

I think there is something very special about this half-century mark that underscores the legacy of a Multnomah education. I believe it's a tangible expression of our rich heritage that truly demonstrates God’s faithfulness throughout the generations and the vitality of our daily relationship with Him. These 50-Year Alumni society members are a testimony to us and to the generations that have followed.

In speaking with Bill Kramer, one of this year’s 50 year society members, I was so encouraged by his heart for our graduates and his desire to encourage them in the journey ahead. I hope you enjoy his story and words of wisdom.

Encouragement to the Class of 2014 from 50-Year Society member Bill Kramer

Class of 2014, you’re not finished yet. Be ready to let Him amaze you. He delights in doing more than you can imagine. He will put before you opportunities that will force you to totally depend on Him. You are His servant. You are called to glorify Him and Him alone.

I completed my work at Multnomah in 1964. On November 28, 1967, Cadence International asked me if I would be willing to open a ministry with the U.S. Air Force in Ubon, Thailand. Their goal was for me to be in Thailand by the first of the year. That was in 30 days.

'God amazed me'

I had known for years I would end up somewhere overseas. But I was thinking, “Who will support me? I am a nobody.  I’m a farmer from Kansas.” One truth I had not grasped was that God is in charge. He delights in taking a nobody to show that He is somebody. What He does, He does for His glory.

I had 30 days to get my passport, my visa and my financial support. To my knowledge, my 70-year-old dad was not a believer. Every time I would bring up the subject, he would say, “I don’t want to talk about it.” I wanted to go back to Kansas to see my parents and talk to my dad one more time before I left for Thailand.

50YearAlum_main2

Bill and Jeannette Kramer

God amazed me. My support came in. My passport and visa were in order. And what thrilled my heart most was that my dad received Jesus a few days before I returned to Portland and departed for Thailand.

'We have found your wife'

Then God started to amaze me by the growing number of men he brought to my ministry. When I had been in Thailand for about a year, a close friend who was teaching at an elementary school wrote to me: “We have found your wife.”

My future wife, Jeannette, had been in Cameroon, Africa, teaching at a teacher training college, but was now teaching at the same school as my friend. I started writing to Jeannette. Our relationship via letters grew so naturally.

After five months, I proposed, and she accepted. In September of 1969, I returned to the States to meet  and marry Jeannette. As the aircraft  began its descent on the Portland Airport,  it hit me that there was a woman down there that I loved and was looking forward to spending the rest of my life with. Yet we had never met. That was almost 45 years ago. Jeannette was perfect for me.

'He is about to write His story on your life'

We were with Cadence for 23 years. We have worked in Thailand, Korea, Japan and Spain. God has given us fruit who are serving Him all over the U. S. and some overseas. We worked in pastoral ministry for another 20 years. For the last four years, we have been providing pastoral counselling and Bible Study materials for men in four different prisons.

God took me, that Kansas farmer, and amazed me by doing what I could have never imagined. He is about to write His story on your life.  Let Him, and you will be amazed.

— Bill Kramer

Director of Alumni Relations