Class #25,000 was great!

By May 3rd, 2013

I just had my final class of approximately 25,000 classes periods at Multnomah. Over the 37 years I had approximately 12,000 students in class. I decided to hold class in the Dirks Prayer Chapel in the center of campus. We prayed for Multnomah that it would so prosper that the faculty and staff who were cut would be able to return to the school they love. One student quoted from Jeremiah 29 and reminded us that God has “plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.”

I read from Ephesians 1 before we prayed and had a flashback. It was not caused by drugs, but by a vivid reminder of my first time teaching at Multnomah. In the spring of 1976 I interviewed and taught five classes. One of them was on God’s sovereignty and I used Ephesians 1 as the key passage. I started my first class in August, 1976 with prayer and ended my last class praying with 15 students that the sovereign God would give all of us a “future and a hope” and especially the school we love.

G

This entry was posted on Friday, May 3rd, 2013 at 11:33 pm and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.