“I didn’t want to break his heart”

By June 6th, 2013

Matt was my student at Multnomah and now he and his wife are teaching me the ropes of Rwandan life. I’m in a house next door and we share dinners together. Meal entertain is called Emma. Emma is the adopted Chinese daughter of Matt and Jeana. Her vocabulary is unbelievable for a six year old. Her current favorite word is “random.”

She is popular with the young boys in her class. She told us that one of these very young men approached her. She ran, but she explained he had some special shoes which could run faster than her shoes! (This might explain why I lost so many races as a boy – no special shoes). Once he caught Emma, he told her “I love you.” We all asked, “What did you say?” She replied, “I told him, ‘I like you, but I don’t love you.’” We told her that she gave a good reply. She added, “I didn’t want to break his heart.”

Another time we were talking about what we would ask Rwanda’s president if we met him. Emma had three questions. “Do you believe in God?” “Do you pray before meals?” “Can you get a McDonalds to come to Kigali?”

G

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 6th, 2013 at 2:10 pm and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.