“Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat”

By July 29th, 2013

During my ministry in Rwanda books for the Kigali Kollection kontinued to kome in. I returned to 35 boxes piled in my office. One book consisted mainly of quotes from Winston Churchill. Here are my favorites:

“I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.”

Before WW2, “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.”

“I have only one purpose, the destruction of Hitler, and my life is much simplified thereby. If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the Devil in the House of Commons.”

“Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire last for a thousand years, men will say, ‘This was their finest hour.’”

Lady Astor reportedly once told Mr. Churchill that if she were his wife, she would poison his coffee. He replied, “If you were my wife, I’d drink it.”

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.”

“Democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried.”

“If you destroy a free market, you create a black market.”

When Churchill was defeated in the elections of 1945, Lady Churchill told him, ‘It may well be a blessing in disguise.’ He replied, ‘At the moment, it seems quite effectively disguised.’

He once was sleeping through a long, boring speech in the House of Commons. The speaker noticed him and asked loudly, “Must you fall asleep when I am speaking?” Churchill answered, “No, it’s purely voluntary.”

G

This entry was posted on Monday, July 29th, 2013 at 3:38 pm and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.