“I’m dead, I’m dead, I’m dead”

By August 23rd, 2013

The memorial service for Dr. Pamela Reeve was unique. She addressed the group and said, “I’m dead, I’m dead, I’m dead.” Then added, “I’m alive, I’m alive, I’m alive.” Two years ago, at age 94, Pamela thought the end was near so she recorded her testimony to be shown at her funeral. We saw her telling us her life story. The successful architect in New York city was a chain smoker and could drink any man under the table. She heard the gospel, but it only confused her. She did remember, “The blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin.” After trying to be good like the apostle Paul, she gave up in despair and she was ready for grace.

I sort of sat next to Pamela during the service. That is, I sat next to Pamela Hotchkiss, one of the nearly dozen young girls who have been named after Pamela. The first time Pamela Hotchkiss visited her namesake, Pamela Reeve said, “She is not a real ‘Pamela’ unless she has red hair.” Off came the bonnet – another real Pamela. I have a photo of the two red heads staring at me as I write this. This woman who stayed single to serve Christ had thousand of children with “Pamela” spiritual DNA embedded in them.

I visited her three times during her final sickness. She said that she was as happy as a clam at high tide and that walking with Jesus was better now than ever. Once asked during her prime where she got all that energy, she held up a coffee cup and said, “Caffeine”. But, she always added that Romans 6 was the key. She had died with Christ (I’m dead, I’m dead) and was united also with His resurrection (I’m alive, I’m alive). Her final DVD at the service repeated the theme of her life. “Faith is . . . the conviction that the Promiser keeps His promises.” She always believed it, but at 96 years added that she had experienced and knew it for fact.

She closed her remarks saying, “I will meet you soon at Jesus’ feet.” We sang about her present reality, “Glory, glory in Immanuel’s land.” The joyful woman is now enjoying Joy Himself. God told her to “build people not buildings” and now many “Pamela”s are carrying on the joyful journey.

G

This entry was posted on Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.