Frugal Promise Keeper

By September 14th, 2013

Alice Timm Friesen, my second mom, has entered glory. As a result, heaven is a more wonderful place and probably better organized. I had the joy of sharing remembrances at her funeral on September 6, 2013. She was what others call cheap and our family calls frugal. Anything that was not a great deal, she would call “highway robbery.” Her Christmas cookies were like Elisha’s oil. As long as you kept eating, they kept coming. Dad’s hearing was not good, but when she gave her trademark “Ooo, Who”, dad could hear it clearly even if he was downstairs with the band saw running.

Her death made the year that I spent with her and dad all the more precious. I will remember her as a “promise keeper”. About a year after my mother died, dad called up and said, “Do you think it would be alright if I ask Alice to get married?” I said, “Dad, get her before someone else does.” Both were about 70 yrs old and so we never thought that it would be a 22-year marriage.

I will be forever thankful for her faithfulness to my father. The last five years were very difficult and her faithfulness was a reflection of her faith. She married Bill, but as Alzheimer’s set in, he changed. It was Bill, then Bill with an edge, and slowly non-Bill with only flashes of the old Bill. Finally, it was anti-Bill as the confusion set it. She stood with him and helped him through it all. Now Jesus is keeping His promise to her. “I go to prepare a place for you and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”

G

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 14th, 2013 at 12:19 am and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.