Mr. Narnia is Honoured

By November 22nd, 2013

When I give the monthly tour of Aslan’s How, I often point to the framed newspaper from the day of President John F. Kennedy’s assassination. “Why is this included?” The answer is that C.S. Lewis died on the same day, November 22, 1963. Today is the 50th anniversary of those deaths. Surprisingly the quiet scholar is better remembered than the famous president.

One evidence of this growing popularity is the honor that comes this evening at Westminister Abbey in London. C.S. Lewis will be “honoured” with a memorial in the “Poet’s Corner”. The name comes from the high number of poets, playwrights, and writers buried and commemorated in the south transept. The first was Geoffrey Chaucer in 1556 and latest is Mr. Narnia in 2013. William Shakespeare is there and even Granville Sharp who created the famous Greek grammar rule.

Ironically, C.S. Lewis failed in his goal to be a poet. But, everything that he wrote had a poetic touch. I will always remember, “He is good, but he is not a tame Lion.” And, “I believe in Christianity like I believe the sun has risen. Not only because I can see it, but by it I see everything else.”

G

Next Bible marathon on Psalms is Friday, Nov. 29. Sign up required:
gfriesen@multnomah.edu
Next tour of Aslan’s How is Sat. 11am-noon on Dec. 14. Sign up required.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 22nd, 2013 at 11:06 pm and is filed under Fortnightly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.