Build a bridge between the past and the present
Understanding the past is the first step toward make a difference in the future. Our history major will give you an in-depth perspective on the origins of Western Civilization. To provide solid research experience, you’ll complete courses in historical method, reading and conference, and guided research. By the time you earn your degree, you’ll be prepared to pursue graduate work or any number of careers.
- Pre-Law. Acquire analytical, contextual, and communication skills that are at a premium in the legal profession. Use general education and history elective hours to take courses in political science, business law and ethics and American history. Students seriously considering application to law school are encouraged to consult with MU’s pre-law advisor early in their undergraduate program.
- Secondary Education Social Science Emphasis. Prepare to teach in multiple areas of social science content (economics, history, geography, and political science). History majors planning on pursuing a Master of Arts in Teaching degree (MAT) will work with their history department advisor to choose history courses that best support their career goals.
Special learning opportunities
- Join study abroad programs in London, Paris and more
- Intern at the Oregon Historical Society
- Intern at State of Oregon Archives
- Intern at the Bureau of Land Management
- Serve as a research intern at Gorra Research