With the continued growth of English as a worldwide language, professionals teaching English to speakers of other languages have numerous opportunities for service in schools, community centers, mission organizations, and more. Individuals who are passionate about engaging the international community will find that TESOL offers an excellent platform.
TESOL Certificate options
Foundations in TESOL Certificate
This three-credit introductory certificate course provides instruction for those wishing to gain initial exposure to TESOL theory and practice. Content includes a broad overview of general principles of language learning and teaching and an introduction to the teaching of each skill area. You do not need a bachelor’s degree to qualify for this course.
LIN 445 / 545 Foundations of TESOL (3 credits)
Any student who completes the six TESOL core courses (18 semester-hours) earns an Advanced Certificate in TESOL. This certificate program is available for students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are not seeking a full degree from Multnomah.
- LIN515 General Linguistics
- LIN 516 Grammar for TESOL
- LIN 545 Foundations of TESOL
- LIN 552 Teaching Oral and Written Communication
- LIN 555 Course and Curriculum Development
- LIN 558 ESOL Practicum
Points of distinction
- Through our coursework students will receive a balance of the necessary theoretical foundations and practical techniques for professional language teaching.
- Our programs seek to help students integrate faith with educational practice.
- Our students are prepared to skillfully serve diverse student populations in the U.S. and around the world.