M.A. in Counseling
Put the Word into practice
Our MAC program will inspire you to create an environment for healing rooted in the truth and power of God’s Word. As you immerse yourself in a unique blend of professional coursework with biblical integration, you’ll gain insights from faculty members who are leading scholars and practicing clinicians. You’ll bond with your classmates in our small, community-oriented program. And you’ll gain the in-depth knowledge and firsthand experience you need to excel as a licensed counselor.
- 60 semester credit hours
- Cohorts begin once a year in the fall
- 700 hours of internship and practicum
- Classes are Tuesdays or Thursdays, 6–10 p.m.
- Accelerated rate (possible to finish in 2 -3 years)
- No GRE score required for admission
- Small, cohort-style classes
- Knowledgeable professors who are experts in the area of their specialty
- Internship placement support
- Bible and theology integration
- Approved by the Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists (OBLPCT)
- Spiritual integration
- Healing presence
- Advocacy & diversity
- Professional identity
- Educational excellence
In partnership with our MAC program, Multnomah University hosts the podcast SMART Counsel, a resource for counselors and anyone interested in mental health.
Lay Counseling Certificate
Pastors and church leaders regularly deal with individuals who experience mental health related distress in a Christian ministry context. For that reason, we offer a unique, Lay Counseling Certificate designed specifically for those who would like to be better equipped to work with individuals and groups in their ministries without pursuing a professional counseling license at this time. People who earn this certificate will be able to:
- Identify the different types of different mental illnesses and traumas they might encounter
- Interact with and triage people who are struggling with mental illness
- Understand how and when to refer for a higher level of care
These courses are taught by professional, Christian counselors with ministry experience and attention to what psychological knowledge and skills are useful within those contexts. We want you to be equipped to handle the challenges of ministry. This 6-credit course can be completed in 12 months, so you can move your ministry forward with confidence.