75th Anniversary Convocation Chapel

8 comments Written on October 3rd, 2011 by
Categories: 75th Anniversary, Alumni, Dr. Lockwood, General

Message from the Alumni Director

“In the same way, let your light shine before others so they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16

As we kicked off our Diamond Anniversary celebration during Convocation this past month, Dr. Lockwood identified for us three profiles of Christ as they related to the topic of “light." In keeping with our anniversary theme, 75 Years of Reflecting the Light of Christ, he encouraged us – students, faculty, and staff alike – to not forget our purpose in remembering the centrality of Christ in our mission.

Listen to the Convocation Message.

In the 75 years of Multnomah’s history, from the inception up to this present day, our focus has been on the Savior. “In all of your study, your goal is to find Christ,” he charged our students. “If you graduate from Multnomah as a master of the Scriptures, and yet your relationship with Christ has not grown, then we have failed in our mission. Our focus, our goal, the great theme of Multnomah is that you would fall more and more in love with the Savior, Jesus Christ – the 'light' of the world.”

Three Profiles of Christ

In John 8, Christ introduces Himself as the “light” of the world and extends an invitation to whoever chooses to follow Him: “I am the light of the world; whoever follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” Dr. Dan then went on to remind us that not only is Christ the light of the world, but that He has also called us, as His ambassadors, to “be” the light of the world. We are to take His life giving message – a message of loving reconciliation into a darkened world that so desperately needs to hear it.

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden, nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand and it gives light to all the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others so they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”

Dr. Lockwood summed up his message by reminding us that Jesus is the Light of the world. He is the life-giving Lord who gives that light to us, inviting us as His followers to share it. He is also the radiant Lamb of God – seated on the throne radiating light through His glory.

Challenge to Multnomah

As we seek to know Him through His Word, in recognition of who He is and who He has called us to be, let us not forget that it is only as we look to Him, that we become more like Him. It is in living lives surrendered and dependent on Him, that we are better able to showcase His glory. Our light shines the brightest when we are reflecting Him fully.

As Dr. Lockwood challenged us in closing our time together, I would also challenge you.

“Men and women of Multnomah, my application to you is simply this: be like Christ! Every day gaze upon the face of the Savior as you study the Word of God. Remember that He is the Light of the world and invites you to get to know Him through the study of His Word. Spend time with Him, with the prayer that you will become transformed into His image, and remember it is not an instant process. It is a step-by-step, day-by-day, lifelong process of being led by the Spirit of God, and of being immersed in the Word of God, to become like the Son of God. He invites you to be His follower – to be Spirit-led and Scripture-guided to produce good works so that others may glorify your Father in Heaven.”

As the world looks on in observance to how we live in singleness, marriage, parenting, business, illness, victories, and even defeats, may they see lives shining brightly.

Displaying His glory,

Michelle M. Peel, MA ’10, BA ‘00
Director of Alumni Relations
Multnomah University
Multnomah Bible College and Biblical Seminary

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Director of Alumni Relations

8 comments “75th Anniversary Convocation Chapel”

Looking forward to being there in February. I will assist in convening the “52 alumni gathering from 1:30-3:00 Saturday afternoon, Feb. 18. It will be a grand time. Blessings, Doug Stave

Michelle,

I well remember our meeting at our 50th Anniversary graduation events in 2006 and our subsequent meeting at an alumni gathering in an upscale neighborhood in Bellevue, WA with pleasure. I enjoy reading your column since even without the picture, I can see you in my mind’s eye as I read.

Congratulations on earning the MA last year! It may not be your last degree!

You have been doing a great job holding down the alumni position. (Does that imply that the position would float away without you?) Thanks so much!

One note: since you wrote that Dr. Lockwood presented “Three Profiles of Christ” in his convocation message, it would have been nice to have included even the names of the other two in addition to “the Light,” just so we readers have an idea of what else was there. I realize the full message was available on the link, but once I got into it, I had no idea whose voice I first heard (didn’t sound like Dr. Dan, but did sound like the recording was going to be a long one), so I decided to play it later so that I can get on with dealing with the 26 emails garnered in my absence from my computer Wednesday and Thursday. I don’t have a laptop or smaller device (Smart Phone, etc) to carry around yet, so when I drive up to visit my now empty condo (moved into a studio apt in my son and family’s home 19 miles away and refuse to rent the condo, though I wholly own it) every Wednesday afternoon and stay over through early evening Thursday for choir practice at my church, I miss out on my emails!

I suspect many alumni are like me: check emails in the morning for what needs to be done during the “work day” (retired folks have a lot of stuff to do–in my case an an elder liaisoning with five missions, sometime volunteer editor and always brother/friend) and look at the rest of the emails in the evening.

In the second paragraph after “Listen to the Convocation…, I guess you could have written something like,
[new line, just] Profiles of Christ
[new line] In his message Dr. Dan speaks of three profiles of Christ, one such being “light.” In John 8, Christ introduces Himself as the “light…of life” Dr. Dan then went on to remind us…”

In Christ,

Bob

Hi Michell, I successfuly recd.the MU paper &read your article about Dr. lockwood’s chalenge. Good job! Your brther Bruce Walters

Michelle, thanks so very much for the words of encouragement. I was challenged to reflect on the need to become a stronger man of God by surrendering daily to the leadership of the Holy Spirit that will enable me to grow in Christ-honoring character that will transform my relationship with the LORD, my wife, my family, and my brothers and sisters in Christ. God bless you as you continue to grow closer to Him. In His Service, Steve Sisk.

Thanks so much for your involvment with Homecoming 2012, Doug. It’s going to be a grand time indeed :) Looking forward to celebrating our 75th together!

Good afternoon Bob,

Thanks so much for your comments. I too remember our meeting with fond memories. You are too kind.

Sorry for the confusion with my last piece.

Perhaps a better clarification would have been: Three Profiles of Christ as they relate to our theme of “light” …in 75 Years of Reflecting the “light” of Christ.

1). He is the Light of the World: In John 8, Christ introduces Himself as the “light” of the world and extends an invitation to whoever chooses to follow Him. “I am the light of the world; whoever follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

2). His light shines through us: Dr. Dan then went on to remind us that not only is Christ the light of the world, but that He has also called us, as His ambassadors, to “be” the light of the world. We are to take His life giving message…a message of loving reconciliation into a darkened world that so desperately needs to hear it.

3). He is the radiant lamb of God: Dr. Lockwood summed up his message by reminding us that Jesus is the Light of the world. He is the life-giving Lord who gives that light to us, inviting us as His followers to share it. He is also the radiant Lamb of God—seated on the throne radiating light through His glory.

Trust all is well with you… Would love to see you at our 75th Anniversary Homecoming celebration!

May His light continue to be seen in and through our lives,

Michelle

Wonderful, Bruce! Thanks so much for letting me know. Blessings to you, Michelle

Thanks so much, Steve. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and am encouraged to hear how the Lord is at work.

May He continue to bless you as well as you move forward in your pursuit towards becoming all that He has called you to be.

Blessings to you brother,

Michelle