Director, Master of Arts in Global Development and Justice
Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary
M.A., Fuller Theological Seminary
B.S., Multnomah Bible College
Hired in 2012
I teach at Multnomah because I deeply value the opportunity to work with students who take God’s mandate to love our neighbor seriously. Whether it be assisting in refugee resettlement locally or supporting marginalized communities through long-term development projects, our students consistently inspire me. I find it a joy to mentor and prepare these students to work in mission, development and social justice contexts.
Prior to Multnomah I lived and worked in Latin America (Venezuela and Costa Rica) for over a decade. In Venezuela, I worked with a non-profit called Niños de la Luz and had roles which included street educator, volunteer coordinator and national director. Just prior to teaching at Multnomah, I taught at ESEPA Seminary in San José, Costa Rica and worked with a team of practitioners and professors in developing a children at risk training program.
My interests lie in traveling, global ministry and understanding new cultures. I also love becoming friends with people from around the world. Here at home, I enjoy camping and hiking with my wife and children, surfing (yes even in Oregon) and gardening.
Some of my favorite places in and around Portland are the food carts (Thai and Indian food), local hiking spots (the Columbia Gorge and Silver Creek State Park) and the Oregon Coast (Pacific City, Oswald State Park and Otter’s Rock).
– “Children and Youth Ministries, Latin America” in Encyclopedia of Christianity and the Global South. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. 2018.
– “Bi-modal Rhythms of Celebration in Venezuela.” In Scripting Pentecost: A Study of Pentecostals, Worship and Liturgy. Routledge. 2017.
– “Applied Research with Children at Risk in Development Contexts.” Published in William
Carey International Development Journal. Spring 2016. Vol. 5 Issue 1.
– “Niños, niñas y adolescentes en riesgo como actores de la Misión de Dios.” In En nuestras manos
y sus manos La coparticipación de la niñez y la adolescencia en la misión de Dios. BBB Producciones de San José, S.A. 2016.
– “Child Protagonism in Transformational Community Development.” Published in Transformation: SAGE Publications. Jan 2014, Vol. 31 N. 1.
– “Bi-Modal Mission Advancement in Ministry with Street-living and Working Children” Published in Missiology: SAGE Publications. July 2013. Vol. 41 N. 3
– “Children of the Liberation” Published in Currents in Theology and Mission. Feb., 2013 Vol.40 N. 1.
– “Ethical Mission Responses to Children at Risk.” Evangelical Mission Quarterly—October 2010.
– “Children at Risk in Missional Engagement.” In Effective Engagement in Short-term Missions: Doing it Right. William Carey Library. 2008.
– “Street-Living and Working Children.” In Understanding God’s Heart for Children at Risk. World Vision Resources. 2007.
– Community Children: A Ministry of Hope and Restoration for the Street Dwelling Child. Latin America Mission, 2005.