Hundreds of new students and their parents ventured onto Multnomah's campus Sunday, Aug. 24 as college housing opened for the 2003-2004 school year. After getting unpacked and moved in, the students met their Residence Directors and Resident Assistants at a buffet dinner in the A-frame while parents enjoyed a dinner with faculty in the dining commons.
Approximately 150 parents attended the Orientation this year. Multnomah's Academic Dean, Dr. Strickland, introduced parents to the faculty, and Miriam Gibby, chairperson of the Music Ministry Department, led a time of worship. Multnomah's president, Dr. Lockwood, then shared about life at Multnomah and the decisions that students will make during their time here. After dinner, students, parents, and faculty shared dessert together at Memorial and Aldrich dormitories.
On Monday, the parents learned about the services provided by various departments on campus including Financial Aid, the Health Center, and Campus Security. These meetings helped parents to gain a better understanding of the care that their students will receive after they leave.
Below are just some of the many positive comments that parents' left with Multnomah staff:
- I am deeply grateful to the Lord for leading our daughter to Multnomah. I have been impressed by the depth of commitment and atmosphere where our children can learn and seek the heart of God. Thank you! You will all be in our prayers.
- I especially appreciated the support and acknowledgement of the feelings/transitions that the rest of the family faces when a child leaves for college.
- Thanks for such a wonderful transition. As an alumnus it's great to see how Multnomah is changing in method but the same in message.
- I enjoyed and appreciated the parents time and learned and received much which will be helpful for both my student and myself. You placed great value on the parent and it meant a lot. You greatly increased my level of peace about leaving today seeing and hearing what kind of environment I am leaving him in.
- Everything was great! It was such a confirmation of peace to interact with so many of the staff on this weekend.
- I am thrilled that my son will be studying in this environment. I will be praying for all of you.