Applying for aid is a process you’ll go through each year you’re here. Students can complete the MU Undergraduate Scholarship Application through their MyFinAid account.

We give priority consideration to new students who apply by April 15. Later applicants are offered financial aid on a first-come, first-served basis. The priority deadline for returning students is May 10.

1. Complete a financial aid application (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to determine eligibility for need-based federal, state, and Multnomah grants. Here’s how to apply:

  1. The FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is beginning October 1 and requires prior-prior year tax return information.
  2. If you have never completed a FAFSA before, you will be required to create an FSA ID. This username and password is required for all students, parents, and borrowers. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information on U.S. Department of Education websites and electronically signing federal student aid documents.
  3. Once you have an FSA ID, you can complete and submit your FAFSA.
  4. Please make sure to select the right school year for your application.
  5. Be sure to include Multnomah University (code #003206) on the list of schools to receive your FAFSA information.

If you want to be considered for all types of aid, you will need to complete the FAFSA. Opting not to complete the FAFSA means you will not be considered for any state, federal or need-based institutional aid.

If you are not eligible to complete the FAFSA or are choosing not to complete the FAFSA, please submit the following FAFSA Waiver form.

2. Apply for Additional Aid

Beyond Federal and Institutional aid, there are many resources available to undergraduate students. Research & apply for scholarships locally: many local service groups and foundations want to support their students’ college plans. See a list of outside scholarship opportunities and organizations here:

3. Review your Financial Aid Offer

Financial aid offers for the upcoming fall will begin to be sent in January and will reflect aid amounts for the year. You can access your financial aid offer through the MyFinAid portal. Click Financial Aid Award and select the appropriate academic year from the dropdown list.

If you or your family have had a change in circumstances that may impact your federal student aid eligibility, please complete the Special Conditions form for our financial aid office to preform a professional judgment review of your financial aid for potential impacts.

4. Accept or Decline Loans

If you need to borrow loans, compare your options. This will help you find the best loan for you.

When you know which loan(s) you’d like to borrow, you will need to accept or decline your offered loans by accessing your financial aid offer through MyFinAid.

  1. Select the appropriate academic year from the drop-down list
  2. Click the Accept Award Offer tab
  3. Decide how much of your Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan Eligibility you want to borrow for the full year and update the amount offered accordingly
  4. Select “Accept” or “Decline” from the drop down menu based on your decision
  5. Click Submit

Note: If you accept your Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan and you’re a new borrower, you must complete both direct loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Be sure to select “Complete Loan Agreement” to complete the MPN and “Complete Loan Counseling” to access the counseling session. These are two distinct separate steps on the website of

5. View your estimated bill

After you have registered for classes, you can view your estimated bill through your Self-Service login. Reviewing your bill will help you know how much your costs will be at Multnomah each semester.

If you need additional help paying your bill, be sure to look into other gift aid and loan options.

6. Sign up for a Payment Plan

You may enroll in a monthly payment plan to help you pay month by month. Payment plans are available for the Fall semester after July 10th. Please contact with the Student Accounts team for more information regarding payment plans.

7. Find a Campus Job

Working on campus is a great way to earn money while taking classes. On-campus job opportunities are posted under Student Employment.

8. Check Your Status

View the status of your documents and requirements through your Financial Aid Requirements in MyFinAid.

Financial Aid Verification

Verification is the process the Department of Education uses to ensure the accuracy of the information reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). About 30% of FAFSA filers are selected by the Department of Education to document their income, family size, and other FAFSA data.

Your Verification Worksheet explains what data you need to submit, and is available under Financial Aid Requirements in your MyFinAid Missing Documents.

When completing the FAFSA, many financial aid applicants are able to transfer their tax information onto the FAFSA directly from the IRS. Multnomah encourages applicants to utilize this process. If you transfer the data from the IRS directly to your FAFSA, you will see the words “Transferred from the IRS” in the data entry fields on the FAFSA.

How will I know I’ve been selected?

After submitting your FAFSA, you’ll receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education, which indicates if you’re selected for verification. If you’re selected, Multnomah will send you a personalized Verification Worksheet outlining the process.

What documents do I need to submit if I’m selected?

Documents will vary by student and by academic year. Your Verification Worksheet will indicate what you must verify, along with instructions for how to submit the information. The Department of Education can adjust or add to the items they ask the school to verify. If this happens, we will contact you to request this additional documentation.

What tax year do I need to provide income documentation for?

The FAFSA for 2023-2024 collects income information from your 2021 taxes. The 2020-2021 FAFSA collects 2018 tax information.

How do I verify my income?

If you filed a Federal Income Tax return, you have options:

1. IRS Data Retrieval.

    This is the preferred method for verifying income.


You can access the IRS Data Retrieval Tool by logging in to FAFSA and following the online instructions to “make a correction.” The tool will load your information directly from the IRS. You will not be able to see the numbers that are transferred to the FAFSA. The fields that are transferred will show “transferred from the IRS” after they have been populated. Be sure to submit the correction after you finish transferring the data.


    Since the tax filing deadline for 2021 has passed, you should be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval unless one of the circumstances listed below exists.


    Only tax filers can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If parents and students both filed taxes, then both must use the retrieval tool.

Circumstances that prevent you from using the retrieval tool:

  • Did not indicate on the FAFSA that the tax return has been completed
  • Married and filed the tax return as separately
  • If dependent, neither parent entered a valid Social Security number on the FAFSA
  • Filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
  • Applicants whose marital status changed after the calendar year for which taxes were filed

2. Federal Tax Return Transcript. If you cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must contact the IRS to obtain a tax return transcript. After you receive it, you must submit it to the Multnomah University Office of Financial Aid.

Get Transcript by MAIL
Go to IRS

    Select “Get Your Tax Record.” Click “Get Transcript by Mail.” Make sure to request the “Return Transcript” NOT the “Account Transcript.” The transcript is generally received within 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the online request.

Get Transcript ONLINE

Go to IRS

    Select “Get Your Tax Record.” Click “Get Transcript Online.” Select Higher Education/Student Aid as the reason for why you need the transcript. You should request the “Return Transcript” NOT the “Account Transcript.” To use the Get Transcript Online tool, the user must have (1) access to a valid email address, (2) a text-enabled mobile phone in the user’s name (pay-as-you-go plans cannot be used), and (3) specific financial account numbers (such as a credit card number or an account number for a home mortgage or auto loan). The transcript displays online upon successful completion of the IRS’s two-step authentication.

Automated Telephone Request

    1-800-908-9946. Follow the prompts and select “Option 2” to request a Tax Return Transcript NOT a Tax Account Transcript. The transcript is generally received with 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the telephone request.

Paper Request Form – IRS Form 4506T-EZ or IRS Form 4506-T (pdf). Carefully complete the form and request a “Return Transcript.” The transcript is generally received with 10 business days from the IRS’s receipt of the paper request form.

3. Federal Tax Return. Using Data Retrieval or obtaining a tax return transcript from the IRS are the preferred methods for documenting income. However, the Department of Education now allows schools to accept a SIGNED copy of the federal income tax return as acceptable documentation of income for tax filers. Income verification for 2023-24 requires a signed copy of the federal 1040 for the 2021 tax year along with schedules 1, 2, and 3. Additional schedules or forms may be required to resolve conflicting information.

If you cannot use any of these methods, please document the issue you’re experiencing and email Multnomah’s Financial Aid Office so we can advise you.

How should I send the required information?

Tax documentation and other forms containing personally identifiable information should not be sent via email. Please send documents via the U.S. Postal service, or upload these documents using MyFinAid.

Can I verify my income if I don’t file a federal income tax return?

Non-tax filers who need to verify income should complete and submit the Verification Worksheet received from Multnomah. Be sure to include copies of W-2s, or a statement indicating why a W-2 was not received.

In addition to the documentation that the verification form collects, non-tax filers may be required to obtain an IRS Verification of Non-filing letter. The verification of non-filing letter indicates that an Income Tax return was not filed with the IRS. Dependent students are exempt from the provision to provide the verification of non-filing letter. However, parents who are non-filers; independent students (and their spouses) must all provide this non-filing letter from the IRS.

What is a Verification of Non-filing Letter and how do I get one?

The “Verification of Non-filing Letter” is a letter obtained from the IRS which states that the individual requesting it did not file a tax return for the calendar year it is requested for. This documentation from the IRS is required when the student’s FAFSA is selected for verification. Parents who did not file tax returns and independent students (and their spouses) are required to provide this documentation to the Multnomah University Office of Financial Aid.

One method for obtaining an IRS Verification of Non-filing letter is to use the IRS Get Transcript Online service. If you have a credit security freeze in place with Equifax, additional steps may be required to register. A Verification of Non-filing letter is not available via the “Get Transcript by Mail” service. Please see the Get Transcript frequently asked Questions for more information.

Another method for obtaining an IRS Verification of Non-filing letter is by using IRS Form 4506-T (pdf). Complete the form and check box 7. Mail or fax the form to the IRS. After you receive the Non-filing letter from the IRS, please send a copy of the letter to the Office of Financial Aid. Make sure to print the student’s full name and Multnomah ID# (if known) on the document.

The verification of non-filing letter must be dated on or after October 1st of the tax year being verified. (Example: Financial Aid Applicants for 2021-2022 must document 2019 income information. Non-filing letters from the IRS would need to be dated on or after October 1, 2020).

If the non-filer is unable to obtain a Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS after attempting to do so, the non-filer should contact the Financial Aid Office at Multnomah University for further instructions.

What happens if there are discrepancies in my FAFSA?

After all required documents are submitted, Multnomah will compare them to your FAFSA. If we find errors, we’ll make corrections and send them to the U.S. Department of Education for reprocessing. If we have questions we will contact you for clarification before making changes.

When do I need to complete verification?

We recommend all families submit verification materials by July 1, prior to the start of the fall term.

If you do not complete the verification process before the term of your enrollment has ended, you jeopardize not receiving any federal aid for the term. Any delay in submitting all required documents will delay your financial aid, which may result in you being responsible for paying all or part of your bill until your financial aid disbursement takes place.

Individuals who have filed extensions, or who are self-employed and file their taxes later in the year, are not excused from the verification process.

If you are selected, you must complete the verification process to be eligible for federal, state, or institutional need-based aid or federal loans.

How long does a data correction take?

It takes up to 10 business days for the verification review process and an additional 10 business days if corrections are needed. More time may be necessary during peak periods (February through August).

Why is my information being verified?

The federal government or Multnomah’s Office of Financial Aid may select your application for verification at any time. The goal is to ensure you’ve provided accurate information so that you will be awarded the correct amount of aid.

While there are several reasons why a student may be selected for verification, some leading causes are:

  • Incomplete FAFSA
  • FAFSA data appears to contradict itself
  • FAFSA has estimated information on it
  • Random selection

What items are being verified?

You may be asked to provide documentation or clarification for one or more of the following items on your FAFSA (your personalized Verification Form will indicate exactly which of these items you will be required to verify):

  • Adjusted gross income
  • Taxes paid
  • Income earned from work (for non-tax filers)
  • Untaxed income items
  • Number of family members in the household
  • Number of family members enrolled in college (excluding parents for a dependent student)
  • High school completion
  • Identity
  • Any inconsistent or conflicting information (including name, date of birth, social security number, etc.)

What if I’m a victim of identity theft?

An individual who was the victim of IRS tax-related identity theft must provide a Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS or any other tax transcript(s) that include all of the income and tax information required to be verified. The individual must also provide a statement signed and dated by the tax filer, indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS is aware of the tax-related identity theft. Tax filers who were victims of IRS tax-related identity theft should contact the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at 1-800-908-4490 to request a TRDBV transcript.

What if I had an IRA or Pension Rollover?

If the tax filer was able to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when the FAFSA was filed, the tax filer should provide a signed and dated tax return transcript from the IRS or a signed and dated copy of the federal tax return, with the word “Rollover” written beside the applicable item(s). Alternatively, the tax filer may provide a written, signed statement to the Financial Aid Office indicating the amount of the original distribution, and the amount that was excluded because it was an authorized IRS rollover.

What if I filed an amended tax return?

Tax filers who amended their tax returns need to provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS or any other alternative IRS tax transcript containing all income and tax information from the original tax return required for verification and a copy of the IRS form 1040X (signed by the taxpayer) which was filed with the IRS.

If the taxpayer is unable to provide a tax return transcript, a signed copy of the original tax return that was filed with the IRS may be submitted along with the signed 1040X.

Get Started


Calculate your Aid    Apply for Aid    Contact Us

Get rewarded for the work you’re doing now.

Multnomah University offers academic scholarships to students based on GPA.

Take your education abroad.

Apply your federal and institutional aid to any of the Multnomah University approved study abroad programs.

0 %

All incoming undergrad students receive institutional aid

$ 3000000

MU funds over $3,000,000 in student aid every year.

0 %

Nearly every student at MU receives financial aid