Student Success Center
Multnomah University is continuing to improve on the academic support that we offer to students by formalizing a Student Success Center – now open! We have provided free tutoring in the past, but we are now adding to that effort with academic coaching. This can include support and training for students in the areas of time management, study skills, writing strategies, life management, ongoing accountability and more!
We aim to maximize the learning experience of all our students. We are located in the JCA Student Center and are available by walk-in and appointment. Please encourage your student to come see us at any time!
Is your student looking for career direction? MU’s Career Services provides career coaching from the time a student enters their first year and throughout their entire time here. And these services continue to be available even when they become alumni!
Here are some areas Career Services can assist your student in:
- Are they struggling with finding the best fit in a major? Coaching in discovering who they are is strength in our department.
- Would vocational testing tools help? Strength Finder, personality testing, Spiritual gifts, and other discovery tools are available for free at any time. Strengths Finders is included in their freshman Spiritual and Personal Formation course. More specific vocational information is contained in their course on Career Development in either their Junior or Senior year.
- Service Learning and internships help in the area of practical experience and with recognizing transferable skills.
- Optimal Resume, an online service, provides an electronic job board that includes information on part-time jobs while in school, as well as full-time career positions.
- There’s a section of the Student Success Center for informal browsing through vocational information in handouts, books and notebooks full of examples of resumes, articles and other tools.
- Help in resume writing, cover letters, mock job interviews and networking is available for any stage.
Encourage your student to stop by. A casual conversation with Carley Wecks, the Career Services Coordinator with a degree in counseling and 25 years of experience at MU, might be just the next step for your student in their personal and vocational journey.
The Career Services office is located in the Student Success Center on the first floor of the JCA.
Specific webpages can be seen at www.multnomah.edu/career.
Student Employment at MU
Parents: Be sure your student brings with them original documents they will need to secure employment. Whether on campus or off, your student will need original, unexpired identification and work authorization documents in order to be hired for pay.
Samples of acceptable documents for completing the Federal I-9 form include:
- US Passport, or foreign passport with work authorization
- Social Security Card
- Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Certified Birth Certificate
- US Military Identification Card
- Military Dependent ID Card
You can also view a list of our open student employment positions here.